Thursday 22 August 2013

My Third Tinder Date


Tinder Date Number 3 - Tuesday 20th August 2013

Forethought: I am not shallow but one thing that really gets my goat in this day and age is bad teeth, there is absolutely no excuse for it.  

I got chatting to Tinder date number 3 and not long after we had covered all the formalities he asked if I fancied going for supper or drinks at some point, of course I did.  I was confident in this one that he had potential. On paper he was great! Good age #28, good job #broker, good height #6'5" and from what I could see from the photos good looking and typed like a gent...sounded perfect, although I was hesitant that most of his photos were low resolution, from a distance, and the small fact that I couldn't see his teeth in any of them. 4 out of 5 wasn't bad for Tinder so I  quickly agreed and he said he would message me with a place nearer the time. 

It was the day before the date when I received the text, it simply read:

"Hey, I've booked X for 7.30pm hope that is ok? Look forward to meeting you tomorrow. Number 3 x"

I read and then googled the venue, WOW. Setting the bar high on first date, my Cheshire grin formed across my face, you have to love a man who takes the initiative, no pussy footing around - I knew immediately, this guy had potential. 

I was actually quite nervous about this one, but I was pretty confident, as he was wearing a top hat in one of his pictures, that it was unlikely or rather, there was a very slim chance he had ever been arrested for aggravated burglary or attempted assault... #winning

 Could he be the man of my dreams? 
 #thirdtimelucky


I flew out the office at 5.30pm to my gym across the road to get dolled up #pretendedIcamestraightfromwork and after an hour of sprucing I tottered to the tube in my sky high heels (I am 5'4", we don't need him thinking I am midget as soon as he sees me, that is something I will save for a rainy day...when I break my ankle...and have no choice but to take my heels off) doing my best to prevent my blonde curls from sticking to my lip gloss.  #pretendedtheywerenatural 

Before jumping on the tube I ring my Bessie for a few words of courage, "have an amazing time, eeek exciting! Remember whatever you do, try not to be yourself." Awesome.

Another thing you should know about me, I am not great with public transport, not in a pretentious way, but whenever I think of tubes, it makes me clammy.  I purposely rent a house 1.5 miles from my office so I can avoid public transport at all costs, just seeing a tube makes me perspire.   

I arrived, I am early, I am hot and I am bothered from taking the tube but I run into dotty P, make sure my outfit looks together, and I am not glowing too much- score I am ready.  

I enter the lobby and a nice lady asks what my reservation is under.  I say Number 3 at 7.30pm.  "What surname sorry?" Shit. I don't know his bloody surname, I feel like such a first date wanker, I think she can sense my awkwardness and I feel like I have TINDER DATE stamped on my forehead, quickly she asks for my name, fewh, No.3 had had the sense to give them my name also.  Great, I am perspiring a bit more.

Reception lady shows me to the lift, which is coming down from the 32nd Floor.  Obviously this takes time, and time I do not have to stop my nerves.  Ah why have I built this up so much?! I see him arrive and check in at Reception, Bugger.  I thought I was going to have time to fly to the loo for one final check. He was fast approaching, and then suddenly there he was next to me, all 6'5" of him. 

We said our hellos and I knew immediately up close I did not fancy him, it wasn't that he was unattractive but there wasn't something there for me, and I feel awful to say it but his teeth.

Needless to say we headed up to the bar, I was blown away by this hidden gem, the view was incredible - 360 panoramic views of London, pretty spectacular for a first date!

We sat at the bar, and initially I felt very awkward, just because I am that person, the more I think about awkwardness the more it prevails me. And although I had already realised he was not the one, it was too late, my body was already in nervous overdrive.  

I was pretty sure my perspiration nerves weren't lessening, but I noticed I wasn't alone, beads of sweat were forming on Number 3's brow, and to make matters worse,  I was pretty sure the same thing was happening on my upper lip, and the sun was streaming in making all matters a lot more visible. #crap #fml #onlyme

He chose our first cocktail, and by the time I was choosing our second, body language had changed, the sweats had stopped (on both accounts) and we had started to relax.

Browsing the menu I reciprocated the question he asked me "what do you not like?" he answered "tequila", that was easy enough. I browsed the menu and made our choices, careful not to pick something with tequila in it.  I went for something a bit different, and tried to keep it manly, it was called "The Unusual Suspects".

Our drinks arrive and I thought it would be fun to play the game guess what is in your drink. So he takes small sips and politely giving me a few guesses but giving nothing away, I eventually tell him that the base of the cocktail is...La Penca Mezcal.  




The Unusual Suspects
La Penca Mezcal, St Germain elderflower liqueur, agave syrup, orange and peychaud’s bitters. Mezcal’s earthy smokiness is balanced by the fresh sweetness of the elderflower in this summery twist of an old fashioned. 


LA PENCA MEZCAL? 

Little did I know until he awkwardly informed me, La Penca Mezcal is a type of tequila.

TEQUILA? Good one girly.

I have only just gone and tried to poison the first date I have had in months with any potential.

FML I AM SHIT AT DATING


Nevertheless we got passed that and went on to have 7 rounds of cocktails and some good conversation.  As it got darker and his teeth less apparent, and my alcohol levels higher, I was toying with the thought that perhaps I could fancy him... I didn't really know but what I did know was it was past midnight and I needed to take my tipsy ass home.

Like a real gent he text to make sure I got home ok and ended the message with speak to you soon.  Speak to you soon? I am not entirely sure how to take that, initially I wasn't bothered about a second date, but when it isn't offered or even hinted at, you start to re-trace your tracks where you could have slipped up. 

I know he is off to Portugal for the Bank Holiday so we shall see if I hear from him after. No love lost if not, but I may need to ask for some feedback on where I am going wrong. I mean apart from the excessive perspiration, I didn't think I came across all that bad.

#PerhapsitwastheTequila?

Follow me on twitter for updates  @shivermetinder



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.